As one might easily note the name Berry Brie, was inspired by the Berry Baked Brie recipe, which seems that every autumn it captures everyone! I personally must admit that I am a desperate cheese lover and whenever I have an excuse, I try to cook with it. Thus, this recipe is my kind of thing. This Berry Baked Brie is an easy and fun recipe to make as an appetizer for a party or else as a starter if done in a smaller individual serving, preferably served hot so the cheese is still gooey and the berry sauce does not get too soggy. The tanginess from the Brie that mixes with the sweetness of the berries fills your mouth with pure happiness.
When doing this recipe it is easy to experiment with a number of ingredients and mix them up. Here, I shall be using blueberries and raspberries but one can change up and use any berries such as, blackberries, cranberries or even strawberries. This also counts for the type of nuts or seeds one uses; depending on each personal taste, one can omit or mix them up.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (in my case I used readymade pastry)
- 1 wheel of brie cheese*
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries and raspberries
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- Few Basil leaves
- 1 egg to make the egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- Roll out the pastry as soon as you take it out of the fridge and place the pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place the Brie in the middle.
- Cut evenly spaced slits, of about 2 cm, around the cheese.
- First, place the blueberries and raspberries on top of the cheese; do not worry if they might fall. Then continue by adding the seeds and on top of it all place the basil leaves.
- With the egg wash brush the edges of the slits and start bringing the pastry over the brie. Always placing them towards the centre.
- After all the pastry is overlaid and covering the Brie with nothing visible. Brush all the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
*In my case I used a slice of a Brie wheel as at my store they had just big ones, and as this was done just for 2 people I opted for a medium sized piece.